Monday, June 1, 2009

Applique!

It dawned on me a few weeks ago that my hopefully-soon-to-be-born child might need a little sun hat considering it's already in the 90s here in the ATX.

So, I popped over to Target to see what my options are...

Turns out, if you're a boy baby, you get really plain, ordinary hat choices - navy or khaki... no designs... no patterns... nada.

If you're a girl baby, you have at least 10 to 12 different super cute patterns, colors, sizes, shapes - it's like an all-you-can-eat buffet of baby hats all in various shades of pink with flowers, butterfiles, ladybugs, etc.

I went with both the navy and the khaki - one is toddler size, one is infant size. My nephew, Logan (and his parents) will be visiting us later in the month from North Dakota - where I'm pretty sure it's still snowing and they don't ever see the sun... so, thought he could use a sun hat for Texas as well.

I left the Target with two plain boy hats and an idea... what if I were to try doing an applique on them... hmmm...

Thanks to a little searching on ye ol' interweb, I figured out what kind of interfacing I would need (Wonder Under) and that it's super duper cheap... yay!

Next up was figuring out what type of designs I wanted to do on the hats. For my first try, I thought I would keep it simple and just do the babies initials - in similiar fabrics...

Check it out...


I think they turned out pretty darn cute! The Wonder Under was sooooo easy to use - I'm already thinking about shapes and patterns for some onesies...

No comments: