Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Musical Taste from the Inside?

So, my "What To Expect" book told me a few weeks ago that baby Chuy could hear... mostly my heartbeat, digestion noises, stuff like that - but it also mentioned that Daddy Canacorn should start talking to him and that he could hear music.


Well, since us Canacorns met while both working at a particular Record Store, music is a big part of our lives and we were both excited to find that Chuy could start listening to music with us.


I thought I should get one of those "Build Your Baby's Brain" classical CDs to start with... everybody likes a baby with a big brain, right?



Daddy Canacorn brought us two CDs to get started...

Build Your Baby's Brain...





and Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of The Cure


Chuy and I listened to The Cure first. The 15-year-old New Waver that still lives within me was quite pleased that I was playing Cure songs for my son. The songs are slowed down, instrumental and quite smooth, but still The Cure nonetheless. My client was pleased.


We popped the classical selection in next. This CD is great if you haven't worked in a Record Store for the past 15+ years. If you have limited knowledge of classical music and just want something nice and relaxing, this is the disc for you. However, I would recommend not listening to it while driving as it may cause severe drowsiness... I think it also caused fetal drowsiness - which could come in handy when Chuy gets paroled.



Since both CDs could be considered 'lullaby' types, I thought I would move on to something a bit more lively...



The Charlatans UK "Between 10th and 11th





and The Dandy Warhols "Dandys Rule OK"


Baby Chuy was going nuts during the Charlatans - granted, it's a pretty awesome CD - I've personally loved it for many many years now. Guess the kiddo is partial to shoe gaze, which works for me!

He didn't care much for the Dandy Warhols, however. I'm not too surprised - Dandy's Rule OK is their best outing by far, but is no match for Charlatans greatness.

I think we're going to try some Alice Coltrane next... maybe some Herbie Hancock? Gotta love that Headhunter...

No comments: