Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wee See

So, a couple weeks ago, a buddy of mine mentioned Wee See on his Facebook status...



What is Wee See? Well, according to their website...

Part art installation, part pacifier, Wee See is a collection of black-and-white animations built from basic shapes to delight both child and parent. As vision develops slowly over the first months of life, Wee See provides surfaces of bold, well-defined artwork to engage your baby’s curious mind and bring the screen to vibrant life.

With great sensitivity to the delicate nature of the audience, Wee See’s animations move methodically slow and maintain an extraordinary simplicity yet remain endlessly inventive.

With both DVDs containing an original score by Tim DeLaughter, each moment has extra meaning. The same level of playfulness and care at the heart of the imagery also shines through in the music.

Yes, Tim DeLaughter - of Tripping Daisy and most recently Polyphonic Spree fame.

Even though I'm not a fan of Tripping Daisy, I've always enjoyed me some Polyphonic Spree and thought that Chuy might like to have some DVDs that are geared towards him - but in a peaceful, thoughtfully artful way... not an annoying purple dinosaur or adults dressed up like kids dancing around kind of way (I know, I know, that will come... but for now, I get to pick the viewing pleasure...)

So, I ordered them.

I think Chuy is a fan...

On this particular day, he had been a complete Fussy Gus all morning.

Thankfully, I remembered that we had just received the DVDs, so, I popped one in...

Magic...

Peaceful engaged child - he watched the whole thing start to finish - not bad for a newborn...

Granted, my boy loves the TV just like his parents, but he speaks a particular version of pterodactyl when viewing Wee See...

It's a little hard on my adult eyes as it is all black and white, but the music is actually quite nice, so, if I have something I'd like to get accomplished (like typing this blog), it's the perfect entertainer that we can both enjoy!

No comments: